I had some veal on hand, but no more smoked sausage and it worked wonderfully.
the sauce is the trick
· 1.5 to 2 lbs veal steak with bone and fat
· 1 teaspoon black pepper
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1 cup carrots, cut in 2 inch chunks
· 5 medium size potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
· 1 medium onion, cut into eights (large pieces)
· 1/2 cup celery, diced
· 1/4 cup fennel bulb, diced
· 1 teaspoon tarragon
· 1 tablespoon parsley
· 2 cup wine, white is preferable, but rose works
· olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan
heat the olive oil and add onion, cooking till just soft
add potatoes and cook to just a bit of color
add salt and pepper
add the vela and let it begin to brown
add wine, celery, carrots, fennel, parsley and tarragon and cover
turn the heat to medium low, stirring occasionally
continue for 2 hours replacing the liquid with more wine.
At the end the pot will be thick and luscious.
Cut the veal into bite size pieces, removing any bone and cartilage.Serve in a bowl with a good bread.