Thursday, July 17, 2014

stuffed cabage

Our July cooled down today so I went with something in my mind that my mother would prepare often.
The spices (except the hot pepper) represent her well.
My friend said it was very European and I knew my dad would be pleased with this dish also
stuffed red cabbage, stuffed squash flowers, stuffed tomato and boiled potato

Stuffed cabbage

·       1 lb ground meat mixture of equal parts veal, beef and pork
·       1/ white onion, minced
·       1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
·       1/4 teaspoon clove
·       1 teaspoon kosher salt
·       1/2 teaspoon thyme
·       1 teaspoon course ground black pepper
·       2 eggs
·       1 red cabbage
Optional spices:
·       3 cloves garlic, minced
·       1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper

The red cabbage is boiled till just soft enough to remove the leaves easily
          (about 10 minutes)
the cabbage is cooled and the juice retained for other use
          (I make borscht with it)
leaves are separated and excess liquid allowed to drained off
The spices, egg, onion, garlic and meat is mixed together well
About a table spoon of meat mixture is placed in each leaf.
The leaves are rolled and placed in a greased baking pan.
baked covered at 350 F for 1 hour
serve warm 

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you lake this or have extra ideas to share with my readers, please leave your message here, Thank you: